Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Living In the Now

I'm part of a group going through leadership development within my company. Today we had a development session and got the opportunity to sit down with someone (nameless for privacy reasons) to talk about their personal development.

We got some excellent advice but the one thing that stuck with me was this...at all times, you need to be happy with where you are now in your life and not focus solely on the future. This struck a chord with a couple of different things.

I've spent the better part of the last 12 years of my life worried about my weight and what I look like. I'm never happy with my body and I honestly don't think I ever will be. I think I could be a size 4 and I would still find something wrong with the way I look. I've trained myself to think that I'm not beautiful because I'm overweight. That is so wrong!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My husband compliments me all the time and tells me how gorgeous he thinks I am and most of the time, I gloss over that because I don't feel gorgeous.

It also made me think about my husband and our life together. We're always planning these grand adventures. We want to open a bar or a brew pub, we want to take fabulous vacations all over the world, and other things like that, but it always comes down to money and time. We never have enough of either. I know we need to look towards the future but at times I think that's all we do. It's always about the "what if's". I don't think that's a bad thing but I'm happy with where we are in our lives. Why can that never be enough?

I have a husband, a son, family, and friends who love me regardless of how much I weigh or what I look like. I have a roof over my head and more crap in it than I know what to do with. I have a job that I absolutely love, even when I complain about it. I live a comfortable lifestyle. Could I use more money? All the time. Am I fine right now? Absolutely. Life is too short as I've come to realize and I'm tired of constantly worrying about what's to come. I'm tired of worrying about what people think of me. And I'm tired of worrying about life in general. I want to enjoy what I've been given. From now on, I've going to live for the now. I'm living for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment